Alumni are always looking to network or reconnect with their peers. Whether you want to pursue a specific fellowship, share an open position with alumni in your specialty, receive guidance on opening a practice, or simply want to reconnect with Rossies who over a Kabuli (wink), RUSM CONNECT can help!
If you are passionate about sharing your knowledge and resources with current students and fellow alumni, participating in the RUSM Connect is a great way to give back and stay connected to the RUSM community as you provide valuable input that can have a lasting impact on someone else. Alumni can provide both short-term and long-term mentoring — for those seeking to grow personally or professionally. You have the potential to offer insight and broader perspectives during key decision-making times in their lives.
We designed this program to be flexible for busy alumni. You have complete control over the connection and can decide how you want the relationship to work.
While many residency programs have moved to conduct virtual interviews, some have opted to continue with in-person or hybrid interviews. RUSM alumni can sign up to be listed as a host on their profile to provide RUSM medical students with specific accommodations during their residency interview – typically between October through January. Students would be able to reach out to alumni listed as hosts in the city they are interviewing to determine if accommodations are available.
We hope that providing the option for alumni to host will open possibilities to many of our students who are limited by the financial cost burdens the residency interview process incurs.
Some advice and tips to remember when using RUSM CONNECT:
- Connecting once is all that is necessary, but the number of subsequent meetings will vary depending on the type/length of the relationship being sought.
- Approach each connection with respect, professionalism, and an open mind.
- Respond to communications from students in a timely manner (3 business days or sooner if able to).
- Help mentees determine their goals for the relationship.
- When connecting, listen, ask open-ended questions, and provide constructive feedback.